Go to main navigation
67 Jefferson Blvd., Warwick, Rhode Island 02888

When the Luck of the Irish Runs Out – How to Handle a Hit and Run Accident

Everyone seems to share a bit of Irish ancestry around St. Patrick’s Day and we’re no different. So as the wonderful Irish wedding toast goes, “May misfortune follow you the rest of your life, and never catch up.”  Unfortunately sometimes misfortune does catch up in the form of automobile accidents. If you’ve ever come out of a store to find your vehicle damaged in the parking lot, you have a sense of what I’m talking about.

During a typical car accident, the at-fault party’s insurance company pays for the other party’s damages. But what happens when you are the victim of a hit and run? In these cases, the negligent driver leaves the scene of the accident without exchanging information or calling the police. Your first reaction is probably anger and worry. You next thought is, who is going to pay for my car damage and medical bills? If you are involved in a hit and run, contact a lawyer right away.

After a hit and run accident, follow these procedures:

  • Call the police. Contact the local police directly following a hit and run accident. File a police report.
  • Access your medical situation. Seek medical attention if necessary. Call an ambulance or have a passenger call an ambulance.
  • Talk to witnesses. If you are able, write down the statements of witnesses. Ask them for their contact information. They might be helpful for a later lawsuit if the driver is identified.
  • Collect details. Write down everything you can remember about the accident. Record the car’s make, model, license plates and all identifying features. Also, try to remember what the driver looked like. 
  • Contact your insurance company. Let your insurance agent know you have been involved in a hit and run accident. They may provide you with coverage if your policy qualifies. 
  • Contact an attorney. A Rhode Island personal injury lawyer may be able to help you collect compensation for your medical bills, property damage, lost wages and pain and suffering.

Hopefully, the police can locate the other driver. The police will contact you if this happens — be certain to follow up with the driver’s insurance company. You may also file a personal injury lawsuit.

If the driver is not caught and you have uninsured motorist coverage, your insurance company should pay for your damages. Alternatively, if you have personal injury coverage, your insurance might pay for your property damage and medical bills.

No one wants to be a car accident victim — especially a hit and run victim. Kirshenbaum Law Associates is dedicated to helping innocent drivers recover the compensation they deserve. Contact our firm today to learn more.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *