Search Site

Your Ex Isn’t Paying Child Support, Now What?

The holidays are rapidly approaching. With this season comes the universal idea that everyone should be happy, grateful and fulfilled. If you’ve lived through the holidays, you know that this isn’t always the case.

The financial burden associated with this season can be daunting for all, regardless of family dynamics. This stress is often compound for divorced parents, especially those who are awarded child support but have an ex-spouse who refuses to pay. This is one of the most disheartening situations we deal with at Kirshenbaum Law Associates.

So what happens when your former spouse fails to pay child support? Is there anything you can do to get the money you and your family is entitled to?


In Rhode Island, non-custodial parents have a legal requirement to pay their child support regularly. Unless the non-custodial parent files a motion to modify or suspend a court order, the child support order continues on in full effect. When payments aren’t made, the payer faces a host of repercussions, including*:

  • Administrative Offset Program
  • Federal Tax Refund Offset Program
  • Passport Denial
  • Bank Match
  • Insurance proceeds Intercept
  • Credit Bureau Reporting
  • Lottery Intercept
  • Motion to Adjudge in Contempt
  • Driver’s License Suspension
  • Child Support Recovery Act
  • Administrative Liens
  • Access to Information
  • State Criminal prosecution
  • Restraining Orders
  • Bonds

*As stated on the State of Rhode Island Office of Child Support Services website, 11/16/18

In fact, if the amount of arrearage is large enough your former spouse could be charged with a crime and jail time is possible.

If your spouse is no longer paying child support, your best course of action is to seek legal representation from an experienced child support lawyer. At Kirshenbaum Law Associates, we’ve helped many parents collect child support arrears on a contingency fee basis, meaning there are no fees until we collect an award for you.

This holiday season, give yourself the gift you deserve and are legally entitled to. Contact us today at 401-467-5300 to discuss your options for child support enforcement.

Meet Our Team
Watch our video
  • "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for being the BEST lawyer I have had for EIGHTEEN years! Thank you for listening and following through. You are awesome! This is wonderful! I can’t wait for next week.Thank you for correcting the order to how the judge stated it. Thank you, again, for everything! Also thank your office staff for all their hard work! Hugs to you all!"

  • "Thank you again for your gracious consultation last week. It certainly makes me feel better knowing that you would be guiding me through the process."

  • "Thank you from my heart. You went all out and the results were outstanding. You were diligent, professional, and supportive through a very difficult and ugly divorce. You strategized perfectly and I am so very appreciative."

  • "You are the only lawyers I feel confident working with. Your confidence gave me reassurance as well. I would never hesitate to recommend you to anyone. I believe you are smart, sincere and very capable and I knew that you would do a great job for me. Thank you for protecting my interests and the interests of my children. Being awarded full custody has been a blessing."

  • "Thank you for all of your help in getting me such a great settlement. It is much appreciated! Your combination of skill in and out of the courtroom and knowledge of the law combines with the wonderful ability to listen to your client."

Verdicts & Settlements
  • "Using a nationally recognized valuation expert, we were able to establish the value of a sole medical practitioner’s office that resulted in a verdict giving our client an overwhelming alimony award." - Divorce, alimony and business valuation

Contact us

Quick Contact Form