Can A Contract Save Your Relationship?
- posted: Nov. 19, 2013
- Family Law
A prenuptial agreement is a contract between two parties who plan on getting married. This type of agreement helps prevent time-consuming and expensive disputes, should the parties separate and get divorced in the future. A Rhode Island prenuptial agreement attorney can create a marital agreement that stops the fighting and helps improve your relationship. But, how does a prenuptial contract improve your relationship?
Many people believe premarital agreements take the romance out of the relationship. The very process of negotiating financial issues and tackling difficult questions is a positive exercise for most couples. However, if you and your fiancé can openly discuss the topics covered in a prenuptial agreement, it bodes well for a more honest and open marriage.
What does a prenuptial agreement cover? Pursuant to Rhode Island law, parties to a premarital agreement may enter a prenuptial contract with respect to:
- Each party’s right and obligation to any of the property of either spouse, whenever and wherever acquired or located
- The right to buy, sell, use, transfer, exchange, abandon, lease, consume, expend, assign, create a security interest in, mortgage, encumber, dispose of, or otherwise manage and control property
- The disposition of property upon separation, marital dissolution, death, or the occurrence or nonoccurrence of any other event
- The modification or elimination of spousal support
- The making of a will, trust, or other arrangement to carry out the provisions of the agreement
- The ownership rights in and disposition of the death benefit from a life insurance policy
- The choice of law governing the construction of the agreement
- Any other matter, including their personal rights and obligations, which are not in violation of public policy or a statute imposing a criminal penalty
It is important to note that the right of a child to financial support may not be adversely affected by a premarital agreement. If you and your fiancé are considering signing a contract before you are married, a Rhode Island prenuptial agreement attorney can help ensure your rights and best interests are protected.
At Kirshenbaum Law Associates, we believe prenuptial agreements effectively help couples plan their life together. Addressing a variety of issues before you are married allows you to discuss important matters before an argument occurs. Let us help you plan your future and prevent future disputes and fighting.