Search Site
Interstate Child Support

Dedicated Rhode Island Interstate Child Support Lawyers

Receiving child support as entitled by law

Collecting child support becomes complicated when the custodial spouse lives with children in one state and the noncustodial spouse lives in another state. Seeking legal representation from child support lawyers can help you understand the laws that protect your rights, enabling you to obtain effective enforcement of a child support order. At Kirshenbaum Law Associates, we work closely with clients to help them deal with child support issues.

Child support across state lines

You likely have a number of questions about how child support works when your ex-spouse lives in another state. Which state calculates child support payment? Which state has jurisdiction over enforcing child support payments? Do states work in cooperation with each other?

When you file for divorce in Rhode Island, the local court ultimately oversees child support calculations based on Rhode Island statutory guidelines and issues the order regarding your child support. Rhode Island is the state of jurisdiction and also has the authority to enforce the support order. Rhode Island cooperates with other states that have jurisdiction under the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA).

Uniform Interstate Family Support Act

The Rhode Island Office of Child Support Services explains that the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act is the primary law governing interstate child support services. State laws conform to this and rely on it for power to enforce payments. UIFSA allows states to enforce support orders in other states and establishes procedures for facilitating the process. Interstate withholding is another tool that can be used and it allows for withholding the non-paying spouse’s wages without having to go through the court. States also have a Central Registry that handles incoming interstate child support cases by distributing orders to local offices and gathering information to assist with the process or by administrating child support payments.

While interstate child support is far more complex than child support between parents living within the same state, laws and procedures exist that can help you protect your rights and obtain entitled child support. By working with a seasoned family law attorney who has encountered and handled all types of child support issues, you can receive appropriate legal guidance and representation.

Contact our child support attorneys for skilled legal assistance

Kirshenbaum Law Associates, Inc. offers flexible office hours for your convenience and is committed to protecting your rights. Our lawyers have decades of combined legal experience that we put to work on your behalf. Discuss your concerns with an attorney at Kirshenbaum Law Associates, Inc. today. Contact us online or call 401-437-5169.

Meet Our Team
Watch our video
  • "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for being the BEST lawyer I have had for EIGHTEEN years! Thank you for listening and following through. You are awesome! This is wonderful! I can’t wait for next week.Thank you for correcting the order to how the judge stated it. Thank you, again, for everything! Also thank your office staff for all their hard work! Hugs to you all!"

  • "Thank you again for your gracious consultation last week. It certainly makes me feel better knowing that you would be guiding me through the process."

  • "Thank you from my heart. You went all out and the results were outstanding. You were diligent, professional, and supportive through a very difficult and ugly divorce. You strategized perfectly and I am so very appreciative."

  • "You are the only lawyers I feel confident working with. Your confidence gave me reassurance as well. I would never hesitate to recommend you to anyone. I believe you are smart, sincere and very capable and I knew that you would do a great job for me. Thank you for protecting my interests and the interests of my children. Being awarded full custody has been a blessing."

  • "Thank you for all of your help in getting me such a great settlement. It is much appreciated! Your combination of skill in and out of the courtroom and knowledge of the law combines with the wonderful ability to listen to your client."

Verdicts & Settlements
  • "Using a nationally recognized valuation expert, we were able to establish the value of a sole medical practitioner’s office that resulted in a verdict giving our client an overwhelming alimony award." - Divorce, alimony and business valuation

Contact us

Quick Contact Form