Search Site

When You Need A Divorce Modification

The day your divorce decree is finalized, you may believe you are done with family court proceedings. However, what if your life circumstances change and you can no longer meet your obligations under your decree? A Rhode Island divorce modification attorney can help you seek to alter the terms of your final order, so it better reflects your current situation.

What type of life events warrant seeking a modification of your divorce decree? The change must be significant. Additionally, a modification does not require the entire divorce order to be changed. Portions of divorce judgments can be modified after they have been issued, including altering child custody, child support or visitation schedules. Examples of major life changes that justify modifications include:

  • Child abuse or neglect
  • Substance abuse by one of the parents
  • Both parents of a child agree to the modification
  • Illness of one of the parents
  • Loss of employment by one of the child’s parents
  • Your child has been diagnosed with special needs
  • A parent might want to relocate to another state
  • Remarriage of a parent
  • Increased medical expenses
  • Retirement of one of the parents

Your divorce modification attorney in Rhode Island can help you collect the necessary evidence to support the significant change. Examples of evidence the court may consider are medical bills, bank statements, W-2 forms, physician’s affidavit or paystubs. There are many other types of proof you can submit, but it is necessary to be prepared to support your request to alter the existing order.

It is important to note that pursuant to § 15-5-16.2.4, “the court, in its discretion, may modify a child support order retroactively only to the date that notice of a petition to modify was given to the adverse party if it finds that a substantial change in circumstances has occurred.”

If you need to modify your divorce decree, contact the attorneys at Kirshenbaum Law Associates. We’ll help guide you through the process.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Meet Our Team
Watch our video
  • "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for being the BEST lawyer I have had for EIGHTEEN years! Thank you for listening and following through. You are awesome! This is wonderful! I can’t wait for next week.Thank you for correcting the order to how the judge stated it. Thank you, again, for everything! Also thank your office staff for all their hard work! Hugs to you all!"

  • "Thank you again for your gracious consultation last week. It certainly makes me feel better knowing that you would be guiding me through the process."

  • "Thank you from my heart. You went all out and the results were outstanding. You were diligent, professional, and supportive through a very difficult and ugly divorce. You strategized perfectly and I am so very appreciative."

  • "You are the only lawyers I feel confident working with. Your confidence gave me reassurance as well. I would never hesitate to recommend you to anyone. I believe you are smart, sincere and very capable and I knew that you would do a great job for me. Thank you for protecting my interests and the interests of my children. Being awarded full custody has been a blessing."

  • "Thank you for all of your help in getting me such a great settlement. It is much appreciated! Your combination of skill in and out of the courtroom and knowledge of the law combines with the wonderful ability to listen to your client."

Verdicts & Settlements
  • "Using a nationally recognized valuation expert, we were able to establish the value of a sole medical practitioner’s office that resulted in a verdict giving our client an overwhelming alimony award." - Divorce, alimony and business valuation

Contact us

Quick Contact Form