• Blog >
  • Your Ex Isn’t Paying Child Support, Now What?

Your Ex Isn’t Paying Child Support, Now What?

The holidays are rapidly approaching. With this season comes the universal idea that everyone should be happy, grateful and fulfilled. If you’ve lived through the holidays, you know that this isn’t always the case.

The financial burden associated with this season can be daunting for all, regardless of family dynamics. This stress is often compound for divorced parents, especially those who are awarded child support but have an ex-spouse who refuses to pay. This is one of the most disheartening situations we deal with at Kirshenbaum Law Associates.

So what happens when your former spouse fails to pay child support? Is there anything you can do to get the money you and your family is entitled to?


In Rhode Island, non-custodial parents have a legal requirement to pay their child support regularly. Unless the non-custodial parent files a motion to modify or suspend a court order, the child support order continues on in full effect. When payments aren’t made, the payer faces a host of repercussions, including*:

  • Administrative Offset Program
  • Federal Tax Refund Offset Program
  • Passport Denial
  • Bank Match
  • Insurance proceeds Intercept
  • Credit Bureau Reporting
  • Lottery Intercept
  • Motion to Adjudge in Contempt
  • Driver's License Suspension
  • Child Support Recovery Act
  • Administrative Liens
  • Access to Information
  • State Criminal prosecution
  • Restraining Orders
  • Bonds

*As stated on the State of Rhode Island Office of Child Support Services website, 11/16/18

In fact, if the amount of arrearage is large enough your former spouse could be charged with a crime and jail time is possible.

If your spouse is no longer paying child support, your best course of action is to seek legal representation from an experienced child support lawyer. At Kirshenbaum Law Associates, we’ve helped many parents collect child support arrears on a contingency fee basis, meaning there are no fees until we collect an award for you.

This holiday season, give yourself the gift you deserve and are legally entitled to. Contact us today at 401-467-5300 to discuss your options for child support enforcement.